Hi Lynne,

I've been working on a really nice set of interpretive sculptures for a
small HLF project near Hexham that I thought you might like to see.

 [image: Inline images 2] [image: Inline images 3] [image: Inline images 4]

Dukesfield Smelters and Carriers Project is focussed on the remains of a
lead smelting mill but it connects the high hills of the north pennines
(where the lead mines were) with the staiths in Newcastle (where the
markets are) and it was a catalyst for the industrial revolution, creating
the demand for improved transportation. Before Stephenson invented his
steam engines, the lead ore was carried over the moors by pack ponies and
many of the bridleways and footpaths in the North Pennines have these
origins. So we commissioned a local sculptor to carve three beautiful
ponies as milestones to place along these routes:one at Killhope Lead
Mining Museum in Weardale, one at Oldmans Bottom (really) a popular picnic
place (& just along from the local pony trekking centre) where the 'Black
Way' fords the river Allen, and one at the Dukesfield Smelting Mill. The
pics above are of the Dukesfield one and the Oldman's Bottom one, as the
Killhope one was only installed yesterday and I don't have the pics yet!

You might also like The Stell, which is part of the Kielder collection of
art in the landscape, but was commissioned by the local community. See
here: http://kielderartandarchitecture.com/art-architecture/stell.html

Hope that helps!
Yvonne

--
Yvonne Conchie

Project Manager for Dukesfield Smelters and Carriers
<http://www.dukesfield.org.uk/the-project/> Awarded Highly Commended in the
Constructing Excellence North East Awards 2015.
Community Development, chairing Allendale First
<https://www.facebook.com/AllendaleFirst>
Evaluation for South Tynedale Railway
<http://www.south-tynedale-railway.org.uk/>
Project & bid development for Epiacum Heritage
<http://www.epiacumheritage.org/>

*Lead collaborator at Conchie & Co: Community, Heritage & Learning
<http://conchie.co/>*
Project design, funding, delivery and evaluation

m: 07733265288
t: 01434 618803
e: [log in to unmask]
w: conchie.co