Dear Naj and Mark,

Thanks for your help. Sorry for the confusion, I had used the control image of the ASL sequence for flirt 6dof -nosearch registration to the T1w*. I then applied that registration to the CBF (generated through Functool on the GE scanner), just to demonstrate the overlay.

Naj, you mentioned the blue bands, "Also, those blue bands running across the brainstem into posterior corpus callosum are more alarming than prefrontal distortion."; even after inhomogeneity correction in SPM (separately for labelled and tagged images) and subsequent calculation of CBF in asl_file** these are not mitigated. Do you know what those blue bands are, is it a common artefact in ASL-derived data?

Overall, I am also really very confused as to why the CBF maps only have negative values (gray matter cbf around -150 and white matter around -500). Just taking the absolute value would result in low GM CBF and high WM CBF, which is not correct, so I am unsure how to even deal with that.

Thank you again for helping.
Best wishes,
Barbara

* flirt -in c002_controlASL_brain.nii.gz -ref c002_T1brain.nii.gz -omat c002.mat -out c002controlASL2T1brain.nii -dof 6 -nosearch
flirt -in c002_ASLbrain.nii.gz -ref c002_T1brain.nii.gz -init c002.mat -applyxfm -out c002_ASLbrain2T1.nii.gz

** asl_file --data=../c002_rawASL.nii.gz --ntis=1 --iaf=ct --diff --out=diffdata --mean=diffdata_mean