Hi Feng,

The input and reference meshes are not treated in exactly the same way by flirt - it is set up with the assumption that the reference image is the higher quality one. This is the reason that you will not get exactly the same results with your method 1 and 2. In this case, you will probably want to stick with using the atlas image as reference.

If you are not satisfied with the accuracy of the registratrions that you are getting, you might want to consider using nonlinear registration with an intermediate T1-weighted volume if you have it; you can use either the FDT gui or the command line tools for this. There is also the option of using nonlinear registration with the FA template, which is what TBSS does, but I am not sure that it is the best approach for other types of analyses where you might care more about GM alignment.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Eelke