Sent on behalf of Naina Kent at Action for ESOL:

Please see below for details of Action for ESOL's response to the latest savage cuts to ESOL. There are some ideas for people to take action locally and a petition to sign. Please send this around everyone you know and encourage people to sign.

Dear Colleagues,

A few of met up in London on Monday to talk about the latest ESOL cuts. Generally it seems as if Colleges have had  little time to plan, some have made decisions to cut classes from now which will also impact on teaching jobs. A feeling that a lot of trust has been eroded about how the cuts decisions were carried out and with little if any consultation with teachers or community groups.

We have started work on an Afe Statement and will post a draft soon.

Please sign and circulate this petition that Rachel Yarwood Murray started on the 38 degrees site https://home.38degrees.org.uk/wp-content/themes/38degrees/assets/images/no-campaign-block.jpg

Other ideas: To do a Poster which we can send out. To send a letter to college heads outlining concerns. To contact any MPs and press contacts.

Best wishes

Naina Kent
Hackney Ace

ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds.
To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html
To contact the list owner, send an email to