What an interesting group Dominic, thanks for sharing!

Nice ideas from Philippa. I was thinking of stories too, especially their own stories e.g. (childhood) memories on all sorts of topics.

Rachel

From: ESOL-Research discussion forum and message board [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Philippa Grimes [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 13 July 2015 10:06
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Advice on teaching Congolese elders

Hi Dominic,
I looked at the class profile.  I think they will be a delight to teach.  I spent a couple of years teaching a group of students of pensionable age who had some similarities.  Obviously you'll need to avoid teaching what they learnt over the past few months.  Again, to state the obvious, you could ask them what they want to learn, though ss can't always articulate this easily.  For one lesson you could spend 5 or 10 minutes each on a number of topics and then ask them to vote on what they want to do more of.  Do these ss have to complete any accreditation at any point?  Bearing in mind that several of them want to support their grandchildren, you could adapt a variety of UK-primary-appropriate geography, history, RE, science and maths-related reading texts to read in class, introduced and followed-up with differentiated DARTS, inc. open-ended S&L and writing tasks.  You could also pick out, or ask them to pick out well-known figures they admire, and/or find some English versions of Congolese folk-takes to base work upon.
Let us all know what you decide and how you get on!
Regards,
Philippa