Hi Philippa

I echo what Melissa has so eloquently said, not least the offering of a welcoming space. The only other thing I can suggest, and which you have probably done already, is to know how to put people in contact with the local agencies (if any...) that offer practical and/or psychological support for asylum seekers and refugees, and have the skills and knowledge to help with a range of difficulties and distress. We also encourage students to go to conversation clubs (our local ones are in different non-statutory settings) if they seem to need social contact to combat isolation or raise their confidence; though I realise that largish groups can be intimidating for some (who may also fear encountering political differences there).

This is just a short note, but I wanted to acknowledge what both of you have said. It's a sad state in education when the human dimension - and the costs to students and staff - is lost in the shadows cast by 'success' targets & funding.
With very best wishes,

Judith

>>> Melissa Worth <[log in to unmask]> 27/06/15 14:37 >>>

Hi Philippa

I have no real solutions for you, just lots of empathy. I burnt out when working in London due to my inability to find that psychological distance. It was very striking when working in partnership with youth services that there were always 2 youth workers present, and that their paid time included half an hour debriefing after each session, and ongoing mentoring from line managers to help them find practical ways to help and ‘permission’ to let go of this empathetic pain. ESOL tutors receive a huge amount of traumatic truth-telling (often the only non-judgemental listener a person has) and there is often little you can do to help, and generally little support for or understanding of the impact on us as workers.

Having said that my own learning suggests that you spend your free time with friends and family and seize the day to do things that restore your spirit. Don’t become a recluse (which is what I did, and ended up utterly drained).

In terms of readiness to learn, you can only offer a safe and friendly space. Note their difficulties and barriers in your planning and records, and celebrate small steps.

Perhaps activities involving different senses may help people to relax. I recently observed a class for adults with learning difficulties which was aiming to teach about the dangers of gas in the home. The tutor dealt first with ‘states of matter’ and I thought this was a great opportunity to do some hands on science – eg discussing/observing water/ice/steam, touching, feeling, smelling solid objects, watching how food colouring spreads through a glass of water, timing how quickly a scent travels through the air. This kind of thing is what many students will have missed out on due to limited education and is a rich stimulus for language exploration. It also engages learners’ personal experience without tapping into past or current traumas, which so much of ESOL (families, holidays, health etc) can so easily do.

There are loads of good safe experiments – make a balloon rocket (blow up a long balloon and secure with a paper clip, sellotape it to a straw, run a piece of string through the straw and attach to 2 chairs a distance apart, release paperclip and watch it fly!) – lots of language from everyday objects to instructions/processes, great fun, and a complete holiday from all the daily real-world pain.

Very best wishes and a massive cyberhug  xxxxx

Melissa Worth