Dear All,

We are looking for two associate scientists in protein biochemistry/crystallography to join our structural biology group at Amgen (Cambridge, Massachusetts).  Please see the following description of the job and apply at http://careers.amgen.com/en/jobs/descriptions/associate-scientist-protein-biochemistrycrystallography-cambridge-job-5550466.

Best ragards,

Xin

Associate Scientist - Protein Biochemistry/Crystallography
Auto Req #: 32607BR
Career Categories: Research
Location: US - MA - Cambridge

Amgen Job Description

Amgen is a leading global biotechnology company, with a mission to serve patients around the world. As a science-based, patient-focused organization, we discover and develop innovative therapies to treat serious illnesses. Our medicines have made a dramatic difference in the lives of millions. To underpin our commitment to serve patients, Amgen is significantly expanding our Research and Development facility in Cambridge MA (AMA).

We are looking for a highly motivated and talented protein biochemist or crystallographer to join the AMA Structural Biology group. This laboratory provides comprehensive molecular insight and structure-based design for drug target assessment, mechanism of action, protein-protein and protein-ligand interactions, as well as protein engineering to facilitate drug discovery across various important therapeutic areas. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to contribute directly to the exciting drug discovery process through structural studies on a wide variety of important biological systems, especially human integral membrane proteins.

The candidate will be part of a structural biology group with responsibilities including (but not limited to) the purification of target proteins for x-ray crystallographic studies. The successful candidate will work in teams to develop, implement, and perform protein purification protocols. He/she will work closely with molecular biologists and protein biochemists in the protein technology group and should demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills. Additional responsibilities include maintaining laboratory notebooks, participating in group and project meetings and, as needed, presenting to groups and aiding in the writing of papers and patent applications.

Basic Qualifications

- Master’s degree & 2 years of Scientific experience
OR
- Bachelor’s degree & 4 years of Scientific experience

Preferred Qualifications

- Bachelor’s degree in protein biochemistry or related discipline with 4 years of protein purification lab experience (academic and/or industrial)
OR Master’s degree in protein biochemistry or related discipline with 2 years of protein purification lab experience (academic and/or industrial)
- Knowledge of state-of-the-art protein biochemistry techniques and hands on experience purifying proteins using affinity chromatography, ion exchange chromatography, and size exclusion chromatography.
- Experience with AKTA chromatography hardware and software.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral) and the ability to work well in teams
- Experience in protein biophysical characterization is a plus
- Experience in protein crystallography is a plus
- Experience in the purification of membrane proteins is a plus
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.