From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Takanori Nakane
Sent: Thursday, July 02, 2015 8:53 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] paired refinement

Hi all,

I have read recent SERCA paper on IUCrJ and found their discussion interesting.
"Structural studies of P-type ATPase–ligand complexes using an X-ray free-electron laser" by Maike Bublitz et al.
http://journals.iucr.org/m/issues/2015/04/00/jt5009/index.html
In addition to CC1/2 and paired refinement, they scrambled indices of reflections and showed Rfree indeed went up.

If we repeat permutations many times and calculate CC1/2 every time, we can obtain empirical distribution of CC1/2 under null hypothesis and thus calculate  p-value. This is called permutation test in statistics. I am wondering how this p-value compares with p-values calculated by Student's t-test. Since t-test does not take the effect of multiplicity into the account, I think the permutation test gives more accurate value. (That is, CC1/2 calculated from a dataset with multiplicity 30 should be more accurate and "reliable" than that calculated from a dataset with multiplicity 2, but this difference is ignored in t-test.)

Did anyone try this?

Best regards,

Takanori Nakane