I believe the picture Harry is thinking of is Fig 2 from this paper:
http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0889311X.2010.527964

Where they show better diffraction by isolating a corner of a crystal,
albeit with a smaller and denser beam. But I would stop short at
concluding the crystal GREW that way.  A lot of horrible things happened
to it before it finally found its way into the beam.  The harvesting and
mounting of protein crystals involves extremely small surface-to-volume
ratios in combination with a complex mixture of volatile compounds
(including water) and a "payload" that is perhaps the the world's most
sensitive detector of solution conditions: a protein crystal.  If you
have ever tried mounting a crystal out of a drop containing alcohols you
may have noticed the "dancing crystal problem".  Loss of volatiles from
the surface is fast enough to set up eddy currents inside the drop, and
they can carry crystals with them.  This should give you an idea of the
evaporation rates and the gradients of concentration that result.  Yes,
water has a lower vapor pressure than ethanol, but only by a factor of two.
   We have known for quite some time (Magdoff and Crick 1955 :
http://dx.doi.org/10.1107/S0365110X55001461) that small changes in
solvent content generate very large changes in structure factors. Once
you have your crystal in a loop and out in the air, the
surface-to-volume goes way up.  By the time you get your loop into
liquid nitrogen the outside of the drop in your loop has already
dehydrated significantly, and the core has not had time to catch up.  A
crystal that spans this hydration gradient, or even sticks out of the
loop will have experienced very different solution conditions before
cryo-cooling, and even the cooling rate itself can be different at the
leading edge of the droplet vs the back.
Sometimes this can be a good thing! Dehydration can improve diffraction,
as can faster or slower cooling rates.  You never know until you try.

That said, something that can't happen during cryo-cooling is twinning.
Crystals have to grow that way, and I have now had more than two
observations of needle or plate crystals that were actually two
triangular crystals stuck together, forming a twin. Not always
merohedral either.  In one case the unit cell of one domain had
"stretched" to match the rotated version of itself in the other domain
every 5th spot.  That one was a pain.

I mention this because it is possible the OP is experiencing a similar
"stretched twin".  If that is the case, then then you have the
opportunity for a novel kind of de-twinning: plot a given structure
factor vs the "translation axis", and extrapolate to just off the tip.
You have to do this for each hkl, however, so you might want to write a
script.

   It is also possible that a hydration gradient or thermal gradient
generated during sample prep has made the needle self-non-isomorphous.
If so, then that is good news: it means that by optimizing your sample
prep you may be able to get homogeneous crystals.  My favorite tricks
are working under oil, and trying to keep the crystal "floating" in the
middle of a loop.  Yes, you get more background than you would from a
denuded crystal, but once the thickness of the loop/drop is less than
twice that of the crystal itself you start getting diminishing returns
on background by reducing it further.  I recommend going for 2x the
crystal size as the "buffer zone" around it.

Rad dam is also a leading cause of "non-isomorphism".  We can correct
for changes in overall scale and B factor, but beyond that is what I
call "residual non-isomorphism".  Seems to accumulate at about 1%/MGy,
but the resolution dependence has not been studied. Zero-dose
extrapolation (ZDE) is formally the way to correct for it, and Kay has
written more than one paper about that:
http://dx.doi.org/10.1107/S0907444903006516
http://dx.doi.org/10.1107/S0907444905031537
There is an option in XDS to turn it on.  However, ZDE is still far from
a push-button solution, it depends critically on knowing what the
relative dose is for each observation, and if you crystal is moving in
and out of the beam then the default of assigning relative dose to frame
number is not very accurate.  XDS doesn't "know" the 3D shape of how
your crystal intersects the beam.  You need to think about how your
crystal and the beam line up to get this right.  A program called
RADDOSE-3D http://raddo.se/ can help with this.

The good news is that since you are "translating" you don't need to
re-discover the indexing at every wedge.  Since your one-wedge indexing
seems to be unstable, I would definitely try giving all of the data to
the indexing step.  You may want to resort to just using the first image
from each wedge to avoid cells that have expanded with radiation
damage.  Once you have an orientation (auto.mat from mosflm, or
XPARM.XDS from xds) you want to propagate that orientation to all of the
wedges.  You generally have to do this manually.  Again, you need to
write your own scripts for this.   My Elves front-end to mosflm will do
orientation-propagation for you by default, but for the multi-wedge
indexing you may need to re-organize the image files. Depends on how you
named them.

As usual, the more difficult the problem you are trying to solve the
more you need to understand the nuts and bolts. The problem of combining
incomplete and damage-ridden data from lots of potentially
non-isomorphous crystals is an active field of research.

If you want to play around with test data, I have a simulation a
situation very similar to the OP's here:
http://bl831a.als.lbl.gov/~jamesh/challenge/microfocus/
it is of crystals in P212121, but with a and b cell edges very close to
the same value.  In actuality, all the unit cells are the same size and
the data are prefectly isomorphous, but you would never guess that from
processing them.  The only difference between the wedges is the
crystal's orientation.  Rad dam is calibrated for 5 micron crystals and
the "right answer" is 1glc.

I'd be interested if anyone out there has an automation pipeline that
you can just feed these images and get a structure out.

-James Holton
MAD Scientist