Hello,

I am trying to refine a protein structure that has a Fe(8)-S(7) cluster
bound to it.  I have been using a cif file that has the ligand 1CL
downloaded from the Protein Data Bank. This cluster is in the oxidized form
and should be that way in my structure as well, but when I use refmac in
CCP4i (6.4.0) it ends up refining the cluster to the reduced form.  The
maps have positive density where the cluster should be, indicating that the
cluster should be in the oxidized form.  It seems like refmac wants to
idealize the bonds in the cluster instead of using the map as a guide for
where the Fe and S atoms should go. Is there a way in refmac to ease the
restraints on the cluster so that it refines with the data, and not make
idealized bonds?

Thanks,

Brian

Brian Eilers