Hi

It is alarming that Randox cannot tell you how it standardises its assay!
It must at the very least have its own working standard using (maybe) a
weighed-in standard solution with a known uncertainty, or it could not
produce an assay!

Randox's web page
<http://www.randoxonlinestore.com/Assessment-of-Diabetic-Ketoacidosis> for
this assay says (in blue)  (my bullets and comments in italics)

The Randox assay offers the following key benefits:

   - Wide measuring range 0.1 – 5.75 mmol/l *(using SI units means there
   exists a full traceability chain back to an SI definition of the measurand,
   which implies that higher order reference methods and materials exist!)*
   - Suitable for use with both serum and plasma samples
   - Limited interference from haemoglobin
   - Excellent precision
   - Excellent correlation to standard methods *(which methods, and what
   standards to they use? Where is the evidence?)*

Randox must be able to support these claims so that users can verify them
so as to meet ISO 15189 requirements for verification!

A practical suggestion:
You can buy the sodium salt
<http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/aldrich/54965?lang=en&region=GB>
with 99% purity from Sigma Aldrich, so I guess you could do a recovery
study to assess trueness using that, but would that satisfy UKASs
requirements?  (Their policy on Traceability was updated last year (TPS 41)
and a pdf is available from a table of documents here
<http://www.ukas.com/technical-information/publications-and-tech-articles/publications/Technical_Policy_Statements.asp>
.)

I doubt if this is an isolated example, as other manufacturers may be just
as reluctant to divulge what they might regard as commercially sensitive
information. Does BIVDA have a view on how to tackle this problem?

This is a good example of how adhering to the requirements of ISO 15189 may
open up to detailed scrutiny contentious areas of standardisation and
calibration and ultimately help improve accuracy and comparability of test
results.

Cheers

Jonathan Middle

--

AQMLM <http://www.aqmlm.org.uk> | STEMNET <http://www.stemnet.org.uk/>

This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.
ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk