It may well be that hydroxybutyrate is a non-standardised measurand and that there is no calibrator or reference material with an international endorsement.

JCTLM doesn’t list a higher order reference material or measurement procedure so far as I can see, and I also can’t see anything obvious in the catalogues of IRMM, NIST or NIBSC.

I don’t think that the use of SI units implies anything definite about traceability.

I do think that Randox should be able to provide additional information about how they assign values in there assay, but it is quite possible that this will not address the need identified by UKAS and that some in-house calibration may be required.

Overall an unsatisfactory situation!  I would also be interested in how other manufacturers evidence traceability for hydroxybutyrate.

Best wishes

Ian

IS Young
Professor of Medicine, Queen's University Belfast
Associate Medical Director (Research and Development), Belfast Health and Social Care Trust

Centre for Public Health

1st Floor ICS B Block
Royal Victoria Hospital
Grosvenor Road
Belfast BT12 6BJ
Northern Ireland

tel: 0044 2890 632743
fax: 0044 2890 235900
email: [log in to unmask]

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/