A couple of quick points:
(1) The main effect is only valid if the main effect is for a
within-subject factor.
(2) That contrast should not be estimable either, you're just subtracting a
constant from each row. The contrast that should work is:
[eye(8) repmat(ones(1,N)/N,8,1)]

This will give you the effect of each column in the design matrix.

Best Regards, Donald McLaren
D.G. McLaren, Ph.D.
Harvard Medical School
Website: http://www.martinos.org/~mclaren