See inline responses below.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 10:35 PM, Julie Morgan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hello Donald and List,
Thank you for coming to my assistance.

Yes, I do want to find regions in the structural gray matter (volume) that are inversely correlated with scores. Specifically, those regions of gray matter that are less involved as scores increase.

Therefore, is this what you mean?
Instead of inputting 'scans', I should input each person's   c1   image
(from which I had derived the gray matter volume information).
Then, as covariates:   score, age, tiv.

You should enter the smwc1* images - smoothed, modulated, normalized gray matter images.

I presume that none of the covariates are set to interact with any factor...

Then, for contrasts, I notice that SPM automatically refers to column one as 'mean'; is that a reference to the scans / c1  images, or to the intercept?

It its the mean or intercept of the scans/smwc1 images. It depends on how you entered the covariates. For more details see:
http://mumford.fmripower.org/mean_centering/

If 'mean' is actually the column of c1 / scan image information, then perhaps the contrast is:
mean     score     age     tiv
-1            1            0      0

Is that correct? This confuses me because I think that   -1  1   implies a t-contrast (subtraction rather than correlation....), but if I use 'zero' for scores, then the scores will be set aside from the analysis.   Or, if my contrast is   0   -1   0  0
I suspect that I am actually getting regions of gray matter that INCREASE as scores decrease (which is, unfortunately, not what I am querying).

This contrast doesn't make any sense. You are testing whether the slope is greater the than mean gray matter value. What you want to do with VBM and any other analysis is to start of with your null hypothesis.

Ho: slope of score=0 [e.g. as GM goes up, the score goes down AND as GM does down, the score goes UP -- these are actually the same].

Now, you'd make the null hypothesis equal to zero, if it already not equal to zero (e.g. Ho: A=B becomes A-B=0).

Now assign the coefficients of the null hypothesis to the correct columns, all other columns get set to 0.

The contrast you want to test is: [0 -1 0 0] or [0 1 0 0]
The -1 contrast will test for an inverse/negative relationship or GM and score; while the 1 contrast tests for a positive relationship between GM and score.

Hope this helps.

Or perhaps what I should be doing is an F contrast?
mean     score     age     tiv
-1           0           0         0
0            1           0         0

Don't use the F-test. You don't care where GM is different than 0 OR the score is positively related.

Thank you.
Julie