Franka,

First, I would suggest that you read my 2012 paper on generalized psychophysiological interactions for a discussion on how to best model the connectivity during different conditions. As you will see in the paper, the gPPI models are more accurate.

Second, the gPPI toolbox allows pre-specified ROIs will requiring any activation level. This is actually my preferred approach as I can be sure that all voxels in the ROI are used to compute the connectivity. The gPPI toolbox is automated given a parameter structure and first-level SPM.mat file.

As I wrote the gPPI toolbox, I haven't used the PPI scripts in SPM in several years. However, my recollection is that you can set P to .99999. Setting it to 1 I believe flips it to be interpreted as a test statistic.

Best Regards, Donald McLaren
D.G. McLaren, Ph.D.
Harvard Medical School
Website: http://www.martinos.org/~mclaren