See below.

On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 8:48 PM, Joelle Zimmermann <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Donald,
>
> Thanks for your help. Could you explain a little more? I have some
> questions below:
>
> It's important to model ALL trials in someway or another. Thus, I would
> recommend that you have 10 conditions, one for each trial. Then at the
> contrast level, you can compare the 1st and 10th one. With only 1
> repetition of each trial, the estimates might not be the best.
> At the contrast level - how would I set up the contrast between the 1st
> and 10th trial if my suspicion is that there is more activation in trial 1
> than trial 10 for example.. could I put '1' for trial 1 and '-1' for trial
> 10 and 0's for everything else?

Yes.

> Importantly, where would I input my behavioural scores in this scenario?
> It's important to me to be able to relate activation to behavioural
> performance scores across trials.

This is a different question. Since you only have 2 trials, any difference
between them will be 100% related to the behavioral difference at the
single subject level. You could take the difference of the 1st and 10th to
the group level and use the behavioral difference as a covariate to see if
the change is related to the change in behavior.

> The other option would be to use a parametric modulator for trial number.
> The limitation of this approach is that it assumes a linear increase over
> all 10 trials. Noise in the estimation of each trial isn't as much of an
> issue since you are constraining the model to have an increase from trial
> to trial.
> Previously, I inputted my behavioural scores as values of Parametric
> Modulator (my behavioural scores didn't increase linearly). The idea was
> that the activation across trials changes with behavioural changes across
> trials. But, didn't show me any effect.

You could use the trial number as the PM, rather than the behavioral score.
This would be more similar to modeling each individual trial.

> I think the most interesting is to use the behavioural scores in my model.
> I am just not sure how, since my previous analysis did not show me an
> effect. That is why I am thinking to narrow down to comparison to trial 1
> and trial 10 (because there should be a big change there even if there
> isn't from trial to trial).

You can't model each trial separately and use the behavioral score as a
covariate at the individual model level. You can only relate trial10-trial1
and the change in behavior at the group level.