Almost correct, at the group level the test statistics don't test for
"commonality", but rather where is the group "average" is different from 0
(F-test) or greater than 0 (T-test [1]) or less than 0 (T-test [-1]).

If all subject show activation/deactivation at the same location, then it
will likely show up in the T-/F-tests. You may also find additional areas
in the group maps that never appeared in the single subject maps. For
example, if all subjects had an activation contrast of 0.001, then its very
unlikely that this would show up in the individual maps, but because all
subjects had the same contrast value, then it would be very significant at
the group level.

-Donald