Hi Nebl,

Thanks for your help. I think I am starting to understand!

Yes, I think I have 3 regressors as you suggest!

So now to set up the contrast in the SPM contrast manager. Do I understand
correctly that I test the effect of each regressor separately?

First, by putting in a T contrast [1 0 0], I test only the effect of ONLY
my first regressor, the task activation (versus rest). (I attach the output
figure, I guess the shaded regions show voxels where task is significantly
different from rest?)

Then, by putting in a T contrast [0 1 0], I test for the effect of ONLY my
second regressor, the behavioural parametric modulator.

If I were interested to test both first (task activation) and second
(behaviour PM) together, how can I do this? Something like [1 1 0]?

Forward the corresponding con images (stored in the individual analysis
folders) into a one-sample t-test for group statistics.

Do you mean after having done the first-level analysis, to forward the con
images into a 1 sample t-test for the second-level (group) analysis? How
can I do this.. do I forward after starting the second-level analysis, or
in the first?

Within the group models you would either set up an (undirected) F contrast
[1], showing voxels associated with a significant effect, or go with T
contrasts. As T contrasts within SPM are one-sided you would go with two
contrasts within the group model, [1] showing positive task activations (or
positive linear relationship wih the PM = increasing activations with
increasing PM values) and [-1] for negative task activations (or negative
linear relationships).

Here you also refer to the second-level group analysis right?

Thanks,
Joelle