> On 5 Jun 2015, at 11:09, John Milner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> The fact that these are considered the early days of RDMS when many of us having been banging on about its importance for more than a decade is slightly worrying…….

early days of _mandatory_ RDMS

There is something strange about the idea that data repositories are needed because there is such a lot to be gained from data sharing, when
it appears a lot of practising academics appear to give no thought to data sharing and the practicalities. The people who submit a zip
archive of hundreds of .log files to their institutional repository with no explanation must surely be simply making a political point that they despise
the mandate, so they propose not to cooperate at all. It’s hard to see any serious scientist genuinely thinking there is any point to this sort of data archiving,
but perhaps they have never had to look at their own data a few years later?

realistically, I suspect many people have evolved a system of publishing in print the data they want to pass to the next generation,
and cannot see beyond those pictures of data. with many honourable exceptions.

interesting times.

Sebastian Rahtz
Chief Data Architect
University of Oxford IT Services