Many thanks, everyone, for your help with this. There are quite a few useful looking leads for me to follow up here - I will be doing a bit of reading over the next few days!
Best wishes
Jenni

From: Research Data Management discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bishop, Libby
Sent: 23 June 2015 11:50
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: assiging metadata to digital moving images

Hi,
Tagging and indexing of moving image media is supported by several products for analysing qualitative data (sometimes called CAQDAS - Computer Assisted Qualitative Data AnalysiS.)
The CAQDAS project at Surrey has been running for years - they offer training and reviews of products.
The review that covers 8 packages and assesses them for multi-media support is here:
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/sociology/research/researchcentres/caqdas/files/Using%20&%20Preparing%20multimedia%20data%20in%20CAQDAS.pdf
General advice for analysing audio-visual data is here:
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/sociology/research/researchcentres/caqdas/support/analysingvisual/index.htm
There is a lot more as well.
Best,
Libby