Peter,
Thanks for the link. The article presents an interesting and useful story for understanding the issue.

I can see the need to routinely delete emails after a set period. Such an approach makes sense for routine emails such as confirming a lunch or saying thank you for a report. None of these emails contains a decision or sets out a position on an issue of note.

What becomes problematic, as hinted by the discussion, is that the system reduces even replaces judgement. The author can let the system remove everything and they lose all agency or moral responsibility. They can, if interested, exercise agency to save selected emails. Yet, they would not appear to follow any system. As we will be well aware, bureaucrats seem to always save their CYA emails. Invariably someone saves the email that shows their line manager ordered  a decision so that they can avoid blame.

Although this works for the individual, it fails the organisation and historical accountability. Therein we see the deeper problem. What seems to be the case, unless the email emerges, is that no one challenged the deletion programme and argued for greater effort to ensure historical accountability. I am surprised the National Archives have not raised this issue either in the past or even in the intervening years to ensure that correspondence was retained.

To be sure, someone will argue that the general principle of routine deletion was abused in a way that was not expected nor intended by those providing the advice. Yet, it seems strange to consider that trained, professional bureaucrats, records managers, and archivists never (it would appear) raised this potential issue. They never asked “What is the consequence of this system on records management and historical accountability?”  To understand this issue, we would need to know what the records management policy and the retention guidelines said for correspondence. If we look at the local government retention guidelines correspondence seems to be require to held for a long period depending on the issue to which it relates. http://www.esd.org.uk/foi/records%20management%20retention%20guidlines%20for%20LG.pdf (Note how many times correspondence is the type of record that needs to be retained (35 references)

Perhaps we can forgive them and suggest that they were focused on the important records like policies and decisions by ministers.  However, even that begs the question. The bureaucrat, the records manager, and the archivists,  work within a public records system that should have shaped their approach before emails existed.

What is even more surprising, given the kerfuffle with a minister who failed to understand the Ministerial Code and the Public Records Act indicated that *anything* he created as a minister was a public record, is that this process still continues.*** Either someone did not tell him or he chose to ignore that point. Neither solution is excusable, but then perhaps they both thought the system would explain and assign moral responsibility to ensure historical accountability and obedience to the law.

The next question to ask, though, is the important one. Will the government change its approach to emails to ensure historical accountability?

Best,

Lawrence

***See the public records act 1958. The National Archives 1999 guidance note on the issue is instructive. http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documents/whatisapublicrecord.pdf
4 Definition of public records
4.1 Public Records are defined in section 10 (1) of the Public Records Act, 1958, and the First Schedule of that Act.  ‘Records’ in general are defined as carriers of information in any format (e.g. paper, photographic, film, sound, electronic, three dimensional models) (section 10(1)). ‘Public Records’ are specifically defined in the First Schedule; these definitions are summarised overleaf. [emphasis added].
Here is section 10 (1) 10
(1)In this Act “public records” has the meaning assigned to it by the First Schedule to this Act and “records” includes not only written records but records conveying information by any other means whatsoever.