Since the establishment of the Health and Social Care Information Centre, both public health analysts and researchers have experienced problems in accessing the HES and other data it holds. On the whole, the Health Statistics User Group has been focussing on the needs of public health analysts, but issues are now coming to a head for researchers, as funders, notably NIHR, are cancelling research contracts because of the delays, rather than tackling the underlying problems.

The Health Statistics User Group is therefore holding an emergency meeting for researchers this week on

Thursday June 11, 1.30pm at the Royal Statistical Society, 12 Errol Street, London EC1Y 8LX

http://www.rss.org.uk/RSS/About/Visit_us/RSS/About_the_RSS/Visit_us.aspx?hkey=41da3323-12e7-4b11-9bf0-7545c6a46f8e

At this short notice, we presume that a lot of affected people won’t be able to make it, but you can phone in using the attached dialling instructions

The outline agenda is:

1.       Identifying common issues to be addressed

2.       Identifying and planning actions to be taken

Suggestions include lobbying, editorials in the medical press, putting pressure on research funders to support the researchers they fund by putting pressure on HSCIC.

3.       Organisation of actions.

If you can’t make it even by phone, please email me with your contact details and a paragraph. We will come back to you with fuller details later.

Alison Macfarlane

PS. I have blind copied this to a number of people, some researchers and some for information

Alison Macfarlane
School of Health Sciences
City University London

1, Myddelton Street

London EC1R 1UW

Phone (0) (44) 207 040 5832

Email
http://www.city.ac.uk/health/staff-directory/alison-macfarlane

This email and its contents are the property of City University London. If you are not the intended recipient of this message and any attached files, please delete it. Unauthorised copying or distribution of this message, its attachments or parts thereof, is strictly prohibited unless specifically stated otherwise.

Please consider the environment before printing my email

****************************************************** Please note that if you press the 'Reply' button your message will go only to the sender of this message. If you want to reply to the whole list, use your mailer's 'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically to [log in to unmask] Disclaimer: The messages sent to this list are the views of the sender and cannot be assumed to be representative of the range of views held by subscribers to the Radical Statistics Group. To find out more about Radical Statistics and its aims and activities and read current and past issues of our newsletter you are invited to visit our web site www.radstats.org.uk. *******************************************************