Dear Ben,

Thank you for your comments and interest (to Ilan also). I hope you are fine now, your deep thoughts (”crazy ideas”) and inquire are always necessary and welcome. Let me react quickly in two specific questions:

1) The special commission (CIATTS) did recommendation to the top federal officials in civil protection at the National System. It has been done both oral and documentary ways. In that Commission have been participating representantatives of National Disasters Prevention Center (Spanish acronym, CENAPRED), National Weather Service and Mexican Institute of Water Technology (Spanish acronym, IMTA), among scholars from other academic entities.

Although most Radixers colleagues are multilingual and since Spanish is the second language most spoken in all around the world, I offer this translation to my bad English of specific paragraph of that recommendation:

"Use of information available from United States of America’s meteorological services. This Commission recommend to Civil Protection General Coordination at the Ministry of Government (Interior Ministry), to explore condition to seek an agreement with correspondent in the USA in order to make possible direct access for local authorities to forecasts and tornado and severe storm warnings. Local authorities in border cities shall compromise to do not get omission for these services and to prepare responsible personnel to translate those warnings meanwhile a national warning system is developed.

About the specific case of Piedras Negras City, this Commission has considered very important and urgent that state and municipal government do a joint efforts in order to:

A) To Identify or build appropriate shelters in order to resist tornadoes. This measure is considered a necessity because many houses and other buildings in the area have not winds resistant structures.

B) To assess the existing flood “warning system” under control of Piedras Negras Disaster Prevention Municipal Center. This “warning system” has not reliable organization neither appropriate design.

C) To develop emergency plans considering tornadoes"

http://ciatts.ciesas.edu.mx/Documentos/Minutas/Minuta%20ComTornados_01_jun_2007.pdf

 2) About your “crazy idea”-hypothesis: meteorological radars (and most kind of radars) are very sophisticated technology now. Perhaps meteorological radars are no the most appropriate resource for aircraft traffic detection, besides it is unthinkable that US government is out of control of that kind of traffic even in Mexican territory. The Mexican meteorological radar network do not ever have working at all. On another hand, there has been World Bank loans for Mexican NWS “modernization” but… any way the facts are at sight. I do suspect we have to build hypothesis on that direction.

 I’m preparing case study of this subject, as Ilan have mentioned.

Un abrazo!!

 Jesus Manuel

Thank you so very much, Jesus, for the excellent comment!  As one of the editorial board members of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, I echo Ilan's suggestion about a case study.

Several things jump out at me from your mail.

Firstly, I wonder what different history of meteorology in Cuba gave rise to the concern in that country with tornadoes.  Just for your information, I am looping into this discussion my friend Enrique Castellanos, who is very knowledgeable about many aspects of the relations in Cuba among science, policy and disasters.  It would be wonderful if you and he found it convenient at some time to work together on a comparative study of these issues in Mexico and Cuba!

Secondly, following up on your mention of the military history of radar, might I suggest an alternative hypothesis?  Since radar was developed during the Second World War, it is old tech.  Could the reason why its use in Mexico has not spread as widely as elsewhere have to do not with its military history but its more recent use in policing air borne drug trafficking? Radar is widely used to intercept small aircraft that deviate from flight plans or have no flight plans.  Could it be that powerful interests in Mexico resisted the importation and deployment of radar, training of radar engineers, etc. as a way of weakening surveillance?  (This is just an hypothesis -- fancy word for the sort of crazy idea that occurs to an old man who returned from hospital yesterday after a total knee replacement and who, as a result, has pain killing chemicals in his brain!).

Thirdly, returning to the original question about flooding along the Rio Grande, it would be interesting to study the mobile phone communication among residents up and downstream of the river n both banks.  In a study hurricane warning during the 2004 season, colleagues and I found the family members from Dominican Republic who were resident in the US were in touch with loved ones in DR with hurricane watch/ warning information taken from the US TV 'Weather Channel', and these sources of information were more rapid that DR's official warnings that came from DR's met service via DR TV and radio.  I wonder if anything like that was going on in the flood affected areas spanning US and Mexico.

Finally, could you please tell your companeros/as in the RADIX network what government did with your recommendation?

All the very best and thanks again for a very thought-provoking commentary!

Un abrazo, BEN