Hi Will (and all)

Yes, the salaries paid to staff, particularly front-line, visitor-facing staff in science centres in the UK are scandalously low, and the staff structures adopted are mostly wrong, too: As you say the only way to get a job paying more is to move into some kind of more management-orientated post which takes you away from working with the public. Neither the low salaries nor the notion that the people who actually deliver the work of the centre have the lowest status (as measured by pay) are in the best interests of the science centre industry in the long run.

Surely,GSC, and other centres can afford to pay least the living wage?  It would also be very good to see these front-line roles being offered on long salary scales which rise to a half decent whack, to encourage talented people to stay in them and develop their skills as face-to-face science communicators and show presenters. Centres also need to acknowledge that managing their talent is not the same job as being a very talented presenter, and get away from the notion that being the manager means you necessarily have to be paid more than the people you manage: It isn’t like that in other performance-based professions, and its shouldn’t be like that in science centres. Some people will turn out to be OK presenters, but have good organisational and management abilities. These people should have the chance to progress to management roles. Other people will turn out to be much better presenters (or exhibition designers, or whatever) and these people should be offered the opportunity to develop their core skills without having to take on uncongenial management responsibilities in order to make even a half-decent living.

OK, this all sound utopian, but here’s a practical question for Will, and all the other people working for poverty pay in science centres: which Union are you in?

If you’re not in a Union you really don’t have a voice to negotiate better pay and conditions with your centre management, or to work across the sector to improve things for all your colleagues. There’s a simple lesson from the history of the Labour movement in the last 150 years, that organised, unionised, labour gets results in the form of better pay and conditions. This is why the present government and its financial backers doesn’t like them. So if you don’t like the way you’re paid, do something about it; get angry and then get organised.

Richard

Richard Ellam
L M Interactive
Science Shows and Hands-On Stuff