Well said.

On 13 June 2015 at 11:54, Barbara Govan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
It would be interesting if a male scientist of Tim Hunt's profile would speak out, not only to encourage more women into science( which has become the easy speech to make) but also to question the culture which has such a "leaky pipeline" of highly qualified women.
And to take action themselves to change this.
Sexism in the lab may play a part  but surely a wider culture change is needed (not just in STEMM ) which brings men into the conversation.
We do a lot of work with female role models in STEMM to inspire others to seniority and promotion. But men should be role models in this too, to both male and female colleagues. Do you have to be in the lab till 10 every night to be a "good scientist"? Is it okay to admit that you cannot make that late afternoon meeting because you are picking up your child from school?
Or do we still have to pretend we have " an appointment elsewhere " ?
Do male scientists feel unafraid to ask for flexible hours to look after their families and fulfil other caring responsibilities?
Or do they fear that, to put it bluntly, they may be heading for the leaky pipeline , like their female counterparts ,if they do.
Men need role models too if we are to make a culture change that gives equal opportunity to every scientist. That means flexible hours, parental leave being just as accessible to anyone.
It would be great to hear from anyone, especially managers and those with seniority how they combine success with taking their share of responsibilities themselves. And to hear them encouraging and thereby authorising those who work with them to do the same , regardless of whether they are female or male.
Now that Tim Hunt is yesterday's news, let's hear from all those forward thinking people who will make change and progress in this much faster than at its current, glacial pace.
Barbara

Sent from my iPhone