Oi, who let the PESTs into this? I thought that I was the only one who still used that term. (I nicked it from Laurence Smaje at the Wellcome Trust.)

Thanks very much for the definition of upstream. (Much better than sending people off on web goose chase.) But anything that needs that much explaining is going to lose many people who should understand what is going on.

I laughed out loud when I saw Sarah’s response. Not just me then. The fact that the term came as news to people on this list is a sign that some explanation is in order.

My own filing system suggests that the term first appeared here in 2005, but there was then a 10-year gap before this discussion got going.

Unfortunately, the OU’s definition still, leaves me baffled. (I know, that is easily done.) This sentence seems to be the heart of the matter:

“It follows that for (upstream) PEST approaches to be successful, a range of publics should be given early (in the case of emerging technoscience, this should be upstream), and then regular, routine opportunities to contribute to the governance of science.”

Is this it:

“Upstream PEST means bringing in people from all walks of life and giving them opportunities to be involved in how science operates.”

That’s just a first stab.

I see that no one pointed us to a link on wikipedia. The only mention I can find is in the piece:

Regulation of nanotechnology:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_of_nanotechnology

So, let me bang on again about one of my constant refrains. Wikipedia is the first source for many people. If your organisation does not have a clear and up-to-date entry there, it is missing a trick. Likewise topics that you are involved in.

There is a Wikipedia article on “Public engagement”:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_engagement

That could use some clarification, as the page header says.

There is a separate section on PEST. Would that be better done as a pointer to a separate article?

Note, the word “upstream” does not feature on that page.

While we are talking about definitions, what is technoscience? How would I recognise it? The Wikipedia page says that it too needs improvement.

MK