'All of my now lost years are new leaf mould'
Aha! I hope well rotted!!cheers P

-----Original Message-----
From: Poetryetc: poetry and poetics [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lawrence Upton
Sent: 02 June 2015 17:27
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Elidius

If I lived elsewhere, this version had died

in draft, crossed through and much overwritten �

as once I was foetal, fishlike. There are,

of us, ocean qualities; though we need boats

for life, bringing us to dry mountain tops.

 Ghosts jangle their ways into their lost peace,

denying that which they must acknowledge.

 What I have been, my pen pushes through me,

writing all that I am since becoming.

My hand and I are guided. Like a beast

led to new pasture. Or a well-fed horse

suddenly burdened by someone not itself,

of doubtable love, spurring; who does no harm

yet leads it into harm. I am too young

in brain to do anything otherwise. I am

here now; and now is all I�ve ever known.

 He whose experience taught me of him

is not accessible today. Not here.

My memory updates a teacher�s chalk list.

My imposed tasks and my weird brief identity.

All of my now lost years are new leaf mould

and myth. My poor recall�s a charm on the dead.