Hi Carlos,

You said:

> If I want to follow a discussion about, say, panties, why should I care
> about a discussion about neckties?
> If you place them in the same drawer, that's your prerogative.
> Not imposing it on others is being nice to other people.

I think this is an important point. Many people complain of issues "going
off topic." So as you say, how does one know whether something has gone off
topic? Whose "ontology" has precedence?

Jenny Preece's "empathic communities" article suggests that email lists
become communities when conversations develop around whatever the original
post was about.

Best,

Jonathan

--

Jonathan Bishop
BSc(Hons), MSc, MScEcon, LLM

Author of over 75 research publications.
Editor of Examining the Concepts, Issues and Implications of Internet
Trolling, Transforming Politics and Policy in the Digital Age, and
Gamification for Human Factors Integration: Social, Educational and
Psychological Issues

Envoyé par mon ordinateur