Phil,

I don’t have a clear vision of what the rules are or should be but I wonder if concentrating on experimenting or not experimenting is a dead end. Is the ethical question one of lying and/or fraud?

If company X releases product P, they make some overt or implied warrantees. P will do what we say it will. (It will not maim your children or cause you physical harm. . .) And company X will attempt to make money in the process. If we discover that company X has no reason to believe that P will do what they say it will and are not attempting to make money but rather to discover what P does, there is a lie. If they are attempting to gain from the lie (say, by learning what P does or harvesting information about you), then the lie becomes fraud.

So rather than making informed consent into an imperative, is it more useful to see most uninformed consent and non-consent as subsets of an imperative against fraud?

I haven’t tried to poke holes in this idea so I hope others will do that work for me. (I think that sentence informs the consent of anyone who might reply.)

Gunnar

Gunnar Swanson
East Carolina University
graphic design program