All,

The HHuLOA OA Pathfinder project has recently carried out a review of the RIOXX metadata profile to inform how we work with this within our local repositories.  A blog post describes this and links to the review report, which also contains proposed practice for each of the profile elements.  Feedback is welcome.

https://library3.hud.ac.uk/blogs/hhuloa/2015/06/29/rioxx-review-and-proposed-practice/

Two fields raised more queries than most: ali:licence_ref and rioxxterms:version.  The former needs publishers to make licence information more readily available in a persistent manner, and a default approach recording 'all rights reserved' proposed by RIOXX will be mainly used as  back-up pending this.

The latter causes some more concern and we welcome discussion on how best to address it.  I've reproduced the section of the blog post below that discusses this:

rioxxterms:version – this element is intended to hold an entry from a fixed category list defining the version of the file available through the repository. Whilst having a fixed list clearly has value in helping to structure this information, it is very unclear what versions from publishers fall into which category: most institutions struggle with acquiring an AAM, never mind understanding which type of AAM it is.  It is not clear that the category list is understood or being used by publishers.  Hence, defaulting to NA for not applicable or unknown (or making a best guess) will be necessary, at least initially.  Further definition and common application of the category types is essential if this information is to be collected properly and be of value.

Given that HEFCE has indicated it will be used the same category list, and indicating which entries on it are acceptable (which does not include NA), how can we encourage publishers and funders to make better use of this list so we can effectively apply it?

Regards,

Chris (on behalf of the HHuLOA project)

Chris Awre
Head of Information Management