To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=NRICH-SUPPORT;8954973f.1506p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

NRICH monthly newsletter: June 2015
Enriching mathematics
Logo

In this Newsletter:

Latest primary features on NRICH

Latest secondary features on NRICH

Booking now open: free CPD to support KS4 teachers preparing for the new GCSE curriculum

Primary Mathematics Leaders' Days

Free STEP online course for students about to enter Y13 - applications now open!

Contact Details

Subscription Details

Latest primary features on NRICH

New resources for your classroom

Image

Have you taken a look at our Live Primary Problems lately? These tasks are those which are open for children's solutions. It might be that you encourage an individual or small group in your class to explain how they tackled an activity, or you could send a summary of your class' work. Remember that we're on the lookout for clearly reasoned solutions, not just answers.

We are currently involved in exciting debates at NRICH about mastery. Watch out in the Primary teacher homepage 'trending' column for some thought-provoking and stimulating questions around this topic, to appear very soon.

Latest secondary features on NRICH

New resources for your classroom

Image

We've just published a new feature for Key Stage 5 from CMEP. Transforming Ideas offers resources for taking a close look at transformations of graphs.

Problems in our feature for lower secondary students, Sequence Surprises, are still open for solution, so do encourage your students to take a look.

Putting together tests for the end of the school year? Why not include a few of our shorter challenges - there are some for each topic on our curriculum page.

Booking now open: free CPD to support KS4 teachers preparing for the new GCSE curriculum

Dates: 25 June and 9 July
Venue: University of Cambridge

Image

This free two-day CPD course is designed to support teachers in adapting to the challenges of the transition to the new GCSE Mathematics specifications. Thanks to generous support from Cambridge University Press, we are delighted that we can now offer free places to KS4 mathematics teachers at any UK school.

Led by the NRICH secondary team, this pair of full-day events will address the content of the new GCSE curriculum and focus on key areas including problem-solving, reasoning and fluency.

The events will share how to embed rich mathematical tasks into everyday classroom practice, and focus on supporting teachers to:

Develop their confidence in preparing students for the new GCSE.
Explore how NRICH activities support the development of fluency, reasoning and problem solving.
Encourage participants to discuss and adapt current resources and teaching strategies.

This free professional development training is delivered over two days (25 June and 9 July), with participants required to attend both days.

For full information and to book see here.

Primary Mathematics Leaders' Days

Image

Supporting all children to be great at reasoning - re-run
January 2016

Due to popular demand, we will be running a repeat of the June 10 day in the new year, date to be confirmed. (To wet your appetite, do take a look at the programme for next week).

------

Mastery in the context of problem solving
Thursday 19 November 2015
London

Save the date! More details about this Leading Learning day will be available soon, but in the meantime, put the date in your diaries. It is not to be missed.

Free STEP online course for students about to enter Y13 - applications now open!

Image

The University of Cambridge's Faculty of Mathematics recently launched a new, pilot STEP Correspondence Course project, funded by the DfE.

The aim of the pilot is to provide free online support and feedback for current Y12 students who are intending to apply to Cambridge and other universities requiring or recommending the STEP exam in Year 13. It is intended for students who would not otherwise receive much help with STEP.

This pilot online project has recently been expanded. It will provide a series of fortnightly assignments through which participants are expected to work, starting in September 2015 (for students who will then be in year 13). Participants will receive individual feedback for the entire duration of the project.

Students currently in Y12 (about to enter Y13) at state-maintained schools/colleges or academies in the UK are eligible to apply. Applicants must currently be taking, or be intending to take, Further Mathematics at A-level (or equivalent).

For more information, and to apply, please see here. The deadline for applications is Friday 3rd July 2015.

Contact Details

Centre for Mathematical Sciences
Wilberforce Road
Cambridge
CB3 0WA

01223 761328
http://nrich.maths.org

You are subscribed to NRICH monthly newsletter. To unsubscribe, visit:
https://WWW.JISCMAIL.AC.UK/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=NRICH-SUPPORT&A=1