Hi all,

I am looking for clarification on what the Maxfilter -linefreq option does.

The Maxfilter 2.2 manual is unclear to me. The only mentions of the option are:

"The line frequency and its harmonics are included with the option -linefreq lf." and "Sets the basic line interference frequency (50 or 60 Hz)."

The mne-python documentation (in the preprocessing/maxfilter.py file on the github), says:

"linefreq : int (50, 60) (or None), Sets the basic line interference frequency (50 or 60 Hz) (None: do not use line filter)"

This suggests that the linefreq option actually implements some kind of filtering.

So does using the linefreq option in Maxfilter actually filter out line noise, or does it simply set the value of linefreq into the FIF object? I'm trying to determine if I still need to filter out line noise after using Maxfilter.

Thank you,

Natalie Klein