This looks like an important initiative that is likely to improve care in many areas, but I have to say,  I just don’t get the concept of a low risk induction. If a woman/baby is low risk, why are they being induced? I was always taught that you never undertake induction of labour unless you are prepared to do an emergency caesarean for the reason that the induction is taking place. So all women who have their labours induced are high risk aren’t they, by definition?

Or am I missing something fundamental here?

All the best

Soo

From: A forum for discussion on midwifery and reproductive health research. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sandall, Jane
Sent: 11 June 2015 17:05
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: NHS England London Strategic clinical network for maternity toolkits to improve experience and outcomes across London

Dear all

The NHS England London Strategic clinical network for maternity had a launch event yesterday.

http://www.londonscn.nhs.uk/networks/maternity-childrens/maternity/

The Overarching aim is to reduce variation in outcomes and experience of care for women and their babies in London.

FOCUS AREAS are

§  Maternal mortality

§  Reducing stillbirth

§  Women’s experience

A range of briefings and implementation toolkits are available on the website along with a fantastic film about IMPROVING MATERNITY EXPERIENCE ACROSS NHS SERVICE. The Maternity toolkits cover two work streams on models of care and improving outcomes, and are evidence based and address implementation by providing examples from London.

§  You can see the Full suite of toolkits on the web page above.

§  Continuity of midwife care

§  Outpatient induction of labour in low risk women

§  Midwifery led units

§  Maternity experience workshop

§  Post partum haemmorhage

§  Reducing stillbirth through improved detection of fetal growth restriction

§  Fetal fibronectin testing

Regards

Jane

Jane Sandall
Professor of Social Science and Women's Health

NIHR senior Investigator
Division of Women’s Health | Faculty of Life Sciences & Medicine | King’s College London |Women’s Health Academic Centre | St. Thomas' Hospital

London| SE1 7EH

Florence Nightingale Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/lsm/research/divisions/wh/index.aspx

[log in to unmask] | 020 7188 8149 | Skype | jsandall
PA Fiona George | [log in to unmask] | 020 7188 3639
https://kclpure.kcl.ac.uk/portal/jane.sandall

Maternity and Women’s Health and  Capacity Building theme lead
NIHR CLAHRC South London | www.clahrc-southlondon.nihr.ac.uk
King's Improvement Science | www.kingsimprovementscience.org

“Birth in Europe in the 21st Century" is now published in English and is available  http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/Life-stages/sexual-and-reproductive-health/publications/entre-nous/entre-nous/birth-in-europe-in-the-21st-century.-entre-nous-no.-81,-2015

logo

athena swan silver