An interesting debate and a topic that I am particularly interested in, but
I wonder if important points are being missed by focusing on whether labour
induction for prolonged pregnancy should be categorised as low risk or not?
What do women think? Do they realise that when they are "offered" labour
induction for prolonged pregnancy that they will be admitted onto an
antenatal ward and that the process of cervical ripening may take a few
days? Do they consent to this? Are they making a fully informed choice?
Allison previously raised some of these points.

I asked women about their experiences of cervical ripening on  an antenatal
ward through undertaking a small qualitative study in the UK. There is a
perception that an antenatal ward is a safe environment for cervical
ripening however, women stated that they felt alone, separated from
significant others and that they had not been adequately informed about the
process of cervical ripening. I wonder where the ring fence of safety ends
when women are admitted to hospital for cervical ripening? Women I spoke to
were permitted to leave the ward for periods of time, which a few said they
did in order to spend time with their partners. One woman and her partner
sat in their car in the car park of the hospital. So, is sitting in the
hospital café or in a car in the car park safer than going home? What care
do we offer women when they are admitted to an antenatal ward? Intermittent
assessment of the fetal heart rate or intermittent monitoring tells us very
little. Women I spoke to stated that they felt that their complaints of
pain were ignored. I wonder if they had been allowed to go home for a
period of time and advised to return to hospital when they were feeling
uncomfortable, if their complaint of pain would have been more readily
addressed? I agree that the procedure of cervical ripening should not be
considered a "low risk" intervention, but I am not convinced that inpatient
cervical ripening reduces risk significantly.

My interest in this area does stem from previously working as an obstetric
nurse in BC, Canada, where women were (and still are) routinely discharged
home during cervical ripening. I am not saying that all women should be
discharged home, but I do think that women need to be adequately informed
about the process, risks and offered a choice of environment. There is more
to this than determining whether the process of cervical ripening should be
considered low risk or not. There are risk to women sitting on an antenatal
ward for hours, being separated from their families and feeling like they
are not being listened to.

Perhaps we need to involve the views of service users in this debate.

Sheila

--
*Sheila JS Brown*
*07840 296 731*