Absolutely Tine!

all the best

Soo

From: A forum for discussion on midwifery and reproductive health research. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tine Schauer Eri
Sent: 12 June 2015 13:08
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Isnt the concept of low risk induction a category error?

Why do we use the term ‘low risk’ if we mean no risk? I think the term ‘low risk’  is in itself a contradiction in terms. Or, is it a silent acknowledgment of the perspective that all birthing women are at risk until we retrospectively can say that they had a normal labour? If so, there is no such thing as no-risk;  low-risk women have latent risks not yet identified, and the high-risk women are those with an already identified risk factor. My point is, if we subsume to the biomedical paradigm of worst-case thinking in all births, there is no wonder that concepts of low-risk inductions are evolving.

Tine Schauer Eri
Associate Professor

Oslo and Akershus University College of Applied Sciences, Norway
Tlf: +47 67 23 63 73 / 926 65 962

[Image removed by sender. http://www.hioa.no/extension/hioa/design/hioa/images/hioa-sign-en.gif]<http://www.hioa.no/eng>

- New knowledge, new practice