From: A forum for discussion on midwifery and reproductive health research. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nicky Grace
Sent: 03 June 2015 08:44
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: FW: electivecesarean.com commented on "Hard evidence: who carries out the most caesarean sections?"

Please excuse me writing on my phone. This subject is close to my heart. I'm currently looking after a nulliparous woman who is planning a private el lscs through fear of birth basically. Thank you Alison for drawing our attention to this organisation. It seems to be the brainchild of one woman who has also written a book. Her philosophy is:

'The risks involved with any surgery are very real and should not be underestimated, but neither should the risks inherent with pregnancy and childbirth in general. We want to highlight the growing medical opinion that elective cesarean risks are favourably comparable with vaginal delivery risks in healthy women. We do not suggest that every woman should consider elective surgery and fully support a woman's choice to give birth vaginally. We just ask that both choices are equally respected. Most of all, we want to help you make a more informed choice about elective cesarean birth, by providing you with data, research, interviews and opinion that you may not be aware of. You will still need to discuss your individual risks and benefits with your own physician, and we also suggest that you research other websites and books too. We welcome visitors from around the world, and wish you all the very best with the birth of your baby and look forward to hearing about your experiences in the near future.'

Every instinct of mine rebels against el lscs but it isn't straightforward is it? As midwives we are duty-bound to support women's choices. If we believe they have the capacity to choose, for instance, VBAC or home birth when not entirely low risk, then it seems logical to accept their choices when they veer towards the more medicalised options such as elective induction or caesarean. If course it's not as simple as that because from a feminist perspective we could say that it is a matter for consciousness raising or in the case of fear, psychological and emotional support... Regarding Soo's point comparing the right to smoke - good point! I think you're right though it seems an extreme analogy. The difference must be in the acceptability of the issue culturally. Plus I guess there are are few positives to women smoking from a health perspective (though you could argue stress relief?) whereas there are arguably some health benefits to elective caesarean eg fewer vaginal lacerations? (albeit a very large abdominal laceration!)

Just a few thoughts...

--
Sent from myMail app for Android