From: Sandall, Jane [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 11 June 2015 08:36
To: [log in to unmask]; Soo Downe; [log in to unmask] AC. UK
Subject: Re: UK press coverage MBBRACE report

So, there is such strong evidence that inequality is directly related to morbidity and mortality overall. One of the major factors why Scandinavian countries have lower mortality is because they have less social inequality. The WHO commission on social determinants of health http://www.who.int/social_dete…/thecommission/finalreport/…/<http://www.who.int/social_determinants/thecommission/finalreport/en/> highlighted this, as did this brilliant work by Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett, the spirit level http://www.equalitytrust.org.uk/…/spirit-level-why-equality…<http://www.equalitytrust.org.uk/resources/spirit-level-why-equality-better-everyone>. These reports should be required reading for all those working in maternity and child health.

So, we need an analysis that looks at morbidity and mortality after dperivation is taken into account, because we also know that the inverse care law shows that more deproved communities get poorer quality health care. Responses and solutions to this problem must acknolwdge that there are much wider influences. Of course we need to address avoidable harm and bullying non respectful services that do harm both to staff who work in them and to women, but lets think about what health services can do when we take this into account. We can think about why services are hard to access raher than why women are hard to reach, whether midwives ensure women know about all their rights and maternity entitlements, and where her social support is coming from. Isnt this what a social model of midwifery is all about???

Jane

Jane Sandall
Professor of Social Science and Women's Health
NIHR Senior Investigator
Division of Women’s Health | Faculty of Life Sciences & Medicine | King’s College London |Women’s Health Academic Centre | St. Thomas' Hospital
London| SE1 7EH
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/lsm/research/divisions/wh/index.aspx​

[log in to unmask] | 020 7188 8149 | Skype | jsandall
PA Fiona George | [log in to unmask] | 020 7188 3639
https://kclpure.kcl.ac.uk/portal/jane.sandall

Maternity and Women’s Health and Capacity Building theme lead
NIHR CLAHRC South London | www.clahrc-southlondon.nihr.ac.uk<http://www.clahrc-southlondon.nihr.ac.uk/>
King's Improvement Science | www.kingsimprovementscience.org<http://www.kingsimprovementscience.org/>