Just a couple of points of clarification.

Firstly, it is worth mentioning that this event is fully sanctioned by Wikipedia, so there will be no issues with en masse editing suddenly appearing from Swansea. We will have a representative from Wikimedia UK, Robin Owain, who facilitated a very successful similar event, also at an academic conference in Swansea earlier this year.

Secondly, whilst I appreciate that a large number of high-profile articles are indeed seemingly impervious to editing, I am particularly hoping that we can add information to articles which are currently sparsely populated with content, and this is unlikely to cause much, if any, controversy. As Steve notes, Wikipedia has now become the first port of call for information on a given topic and therefore an excellent route to introduce wider audiences to the received view with the HSTM/STS community on a wide range of issues. Events such as these might reasonably hope to lift our credibility and standing with Wikipedia (note the very successful mass editing sessions on women in science, for example: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Royal_Society/Women_in_Science_Wikipedia_Edit-a-thon_at_the_Royal_Society,_March_2014).

All the best

Jamie

--
Dr James F Stark
Research Fellow

"The Making of Modern Anthrax, 1875-1920" (Pickering and Chatto, 2013)

@KingTekkers
@ArtsEngaged

Leeds Humanities Research Institute
University of Leeds