medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Dear Marijka-Ana,

There is an extended version of this debate in the longer versions of the 14th-century Middle English poem Piers Plowman, beginning around line 115 both in Passus XVIII of the B text and in Passus XX of the C text. Since a great number of scholarly books and articles have been written on Piers Plowman, the critical tradition on that poem might be a good place to find in-depth information on the tradition.

To get you started, here's the most relevant footnote in Derek Pearsall's 1978 edition of the C-text: "The scriptural source for the debate of the Four Daughters of God . . . is Ps. 84:11 [which is quoted in Latin some 350 lines after the episode begins]. The debate was frequently elaborated in the Middle Ages, providing as it did an effective allegorical means of dramatizing and explaining the reconciliation of the old law and the new law in the doctrine of the Atonement. The treatment in the Castle of Love [The Middle English Translations of Robert Grosseteste's Chateau d'Amour, ed. K. Sajavaara, Memoires de la Societe Neophilologique de Helsinki 32 (1967)] is an example which may have influenced Langland. On the subject generally, see Owst 1933, 90-92 [G. R. Owst, Literature and Pulpit in Medieval England (Cambridge, 1933; 2nd ed., Oxford, 1961]; Hope Traver, The Four Daughters of God, Bryn Mawr College Monographs VI, 1907 (also in PMLA 40, 1925, 44-92)."

with best wishes,
Sherry Reames,
University of Wisconsin-Madison [emerita]