From: Museums Computer Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Phil Cooper
Sent: 17 June 2015 13:12
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MCG] Wikipedia - Editing for Dummies?

Hi Jude

I can't offer a solution only sympathies.

Some while ago I and an apprentice added information to existing Wikipedia
pages and the edits were removed. When I tried contacting the editor I
either never got a response or was pointed to impenetrable guidelines.

We were posting information as representatives of Surrey Heritage, the
County Council's heritage service. We found we were dealing with editors
who didn't declare their credentials/affiliations but could control what
was posted. There is a hierarchy in Wikipedia and I never found out how to
become part of the clique.

When I loaded new pages these were taken down and I was told I couldn't
self promote Surrey Heritage. Eventually my login was disabled by someone
I wasn't able to have a discussion with.

I gave up as I had other priorities. I'm aware that I can speak to Wiki
representatives but, to be honest, I didn't have the time. For a site
that's supposed to be easy to use and open to views from anyone I found it
exceedingly difficult (even having had sessions with Wikimedians) and
controlled by anonymous editors.

A  sad experience as Surrey Heritage encompasses the county archives and
archaeology service so we are an authority organisation that could enhance
the information on Wikipedia.

If you find a way to resolve the issues I'd love to hear.

Phil Cooper
Exploring Surrey's Past Officer

For secure email, please use this account:

01483 518730
Surrey History Centre
www.exploringsurreyspast.org.uk

The Exploring Surrey's Past website was developed by Surrey Heritage, part
of Surrey County Council, with funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund.

The website provides access to a variety of information on Surrey's
heritage, including the collections records for the partner organisations.

This email and any attachments with it are intended for the
addressee only. It may be confidential and may be the subject of
legal and/or professional privilege.
If you have received this email in error please notify the sender
or [log in to unmask]
The content may be personal or contain personal opinions and
cannot be taken as an expression of the County Council's position.
Surrey County Council reserves the right to monitor all incoming
and outgoing mail. Whilst every care has been taken to check
this e-mail for viruses, it is your responsibility to carry out
any checks upon receipt.

Visit the Surrey County Council website -
http://www.surreycc.gov.uk

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg

Isle of Man. Giving you freedom to flourish

WARNING: This email message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may be subject to legal privilege. You must not copy or deliver it to any other person or use the contents in any unauthorised manner without the express permission of the sender. If you are not the intended addressee of this e-mail, please delete it and notify the sender as soon as possible.

No employee or agent is authorised to conclude any binding agreement on behalf of any of the Departments or Statutory Boards of the Isle of Man Government with any party by e-mail without express written confirmation by a Manager of the relevant Department or Statutory Board.

RAAUE: S’preevaadjagh yn çhaghteraght post-l shoh chammah’s coadanyn erbee currit marish as ta shoh coadit ec y leigh. Cha nhegin diu coipal ny cur eh da peiagh erbee elley ny ymmydey yn chooid t’ayn er aght erbee dyn kied leayr veih’n choyrtagh. Mannagh nee shiu yn enmyssagh kiarit jeh’n phost-l shoh, doll-shiu magh eh, my sailliu, as cur-shiu fys da’n choyrtagh cha leah as oddys shiu.

Cha nel kied currit da failleydagh ny jantagh erbee conaant y yannoo rish peiagh ny possan erbee lesh post-l er son Rheynn ny Boayrd Slattyssagh erbee jeh Reiltys Ellan Vannin dyn co-niartaghey scruit leayr veih Reireyder y Rheynn ny Boayrd Slattyssagh t’eh bentyn rish.

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg