On 23 June 2015 at 07:34, Stephen McConnachie <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Thanks Vicky and Arran,
>
> In the short time we had to devote to this, we found published collection
> size, staff size and operating budgets for a few of the large collections:
> British Museum, British Library (150m objects!), V&A, IWM, Science Museum,
> and one of the smaller collections (comparatively) for balance (Tate).
>
> So that's enough for this task. I have it in table form, with urls for the
> data sources, so I might ask Collections Trust or Museums Association if
> it's useful for publication.

If it's worth collecting the information more widely, you could set up a
google form (which puts data into a spreadsheet) and ask people to fill it
out for their institutions. We'd be happy to host a page about it on the
MCG site.

As with most heritagey questions, it does get tricky quite quickly -
natural history collections may have millions of specimens (trays of
ants!), others may count boxes of photographs as separate items or as one
item, preparatory sketches may count as items alongside the paintings they
relate to, etc.

Cheers, Mia

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg