On 17 June 2015 at 13:12, Phil Cooper <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Some while ago I and an apprentice added information to existing Wikipedia
> pages and the edits were removed. When I tried contacting the editor I
> either never got a response or was pointed to impenetrable guidelines.

An you give specific details (off-list if you prefer)?

The two most common reasons for this the removal of new edits are:

1) Not giving citations

2) Being promotional

but of course there are many other reasons, good and bad, and I'd be
happy to tell you why this happened in your case.

> We were posting information as representatives of Surrey Heritage, the
> County Council's heritage service.

You may have inadvertently fallen foul of the English-language)
Wikipedia's strict rules on conflict of inetrest and paid editing;
and/or its prohibition on corporate user accounts.

> We found we were dealing with editors
> who didn't declare their credentials/affiliations but could control what
> was posted. There is a hierarchy in Wikipedia and I never found out how to
> become part of the clique.

I'm sorry that this was your experience; it shouldn't be like that and
there are ways in which new editors should and can be supported.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg