[This is the first response (of two) on above subject forwarded from ‘MAPS-L’, that could inform/update ‘Lis-maps’ subscribers and/or BCS Map Curators’ Group’s ‘Toolbox’]

From: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Christopher A. Alario
Sent: 22 June 2015 10:18
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Map Scale Indicators, again

Greetings Everyone,

By way of introduction I’m the newly appointed - and first - map librarian for the Heritage Collection at the Qatar National Library. I was fortunate to have both worked and interned at the Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division of the New York Public Library while attending library school. Working with such a fantastic collection and with some amazingly knowledgeable librarians whom many of you on this list know was an education in itself (Hi Nancy!). I also have a previous background in Arabic and Islamic studies.

I’m having trouble sourcing a clear plastic map scale indicator. I’ve written Dr. Clifford H. Wood a couple of times at the email address given on the WAML website but have not received a reply. Googling around for vendors isn’t getting me anywhere either. And I’ve searched the Maps-L archives but the answers found there appear inconclusive and a few years old to boot. Does anyone know where I can find a clear plastic map scale indicator for sale?

Best regards,

Christopher Alario

Information Services Librarian – Historical Maps,

Globes, and other Cartographic Material

Tel:     +974 4454 6529          PO Box:    5825, Doha - Qatar

Fax:    +974 4454 0401          Email:       [log in to unmask]

Mob:   +974 3357 2825          Website:   www.qnl.qa