Dear Colleagues,

please see the attached call for papers for the two days of study on "Italian Cinema in the Present Tense: New Narrative Practices from Adaptation to Transmedia and Transnational Cinema,” a seminar in honor of Millicent Marcus. We look forward to receiving your abstracts by August 20th, 2015.

Call for Papers

Italian Cinema in the Present Tense:

New Narrative Practices from Adaptation to Transmedia

and Transnational Cinema

A Seminar in Honor of Millicent Marcus

Friday, Nov. 13 and Sat., Nov. 14, 2015

Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, PA

Millicent Marcus’ work pioneers an approach to adaptation that sees the mediation of a literary work via film as an “extended chain that includes an imagined pretextual history based on lived experience, memory, and dream” (Filmmaking By the Book ix). The adaptive process is “the sum total of a series of encounters” (ix): institutional, semiotic, personal. In her landmark work, Marcus considers the works of Luchino Visconti, Vittorio De Sica, Pier Paolo Pasolini, the Fratelli Taviani, and Federico Fellini, arguing that in the process of adaptation, filmmakers must come to terms with a multivalent cultural past. In these two days of study, we propose to bring theories of adaptation into dialogue with the new narratives, new voices, and new media in contemporary Italy. Italian director Susanna Nicchiarelli (Il terzo occhioCosmonautaSputnik 5La scoperta dell’albaPer tutta la vita) will attend as a guest artist to discuss the topic of intermediality through her work. We envision this event as an opportunity to advance relevant discussions on current artistic trends, genres, and forms of production that are affecting cinema and its intersections with other texts, media, and transnational productions.

We invite papers taking creative approaches to the practices and problems of adaptation, transmedia, and transnational cinema in the context of “Italian Cinema in the Present Tense.” While the selection process will be competitive and necessarily limited (all sessions will be plenaries), we invite all interested scholars to join the conversation by attending the two days of study, including film screenings, a seminar led by Millicent Marcus, and other accompanying events. The entire event will provide a foundation for an edited volume on the topics discussed. All scholars in attendance will be encouraged to submit their work for consideration. More details on this publication project will be provided during the event.

 Below is a brief description of the two days of study with a list of topics we invite scholars to discuss:

Friday, November 13

      Seminar on Film Adaptation led by Millicent Marcus

      Film screening and Q&A with Film Director Susanna Nicchiarelli

Saturday, November 14

      A series of panels organized on the following topics:

      Adaptation and Intertextuality

      New Forms of Authorship (Participatory Film, Fan Fiction, Collective Authorship)

      New Narrative Practices and Genres across Media: Transmedia Culture (Convergence of Literature, Information, Film, TV, Web, Fan Culture)

      Translating and Adapting Film Across Borders: Transnational Cinema

Final Reception for all Participants

Please send an abstract of 300-500 words on any of the topics listed above, in English or Italian, with a short bibliography and a brief bio by August 20th to [log in to unmask]The organizing committee will communicate the definitive composition of the panels by September 15th.

There is no conference fee. Light refreshments and final reception will be offered by the seminar’s organizers.

The organizing committee:

Deborah Amberson, University of Florida
Silvia Carlorosi, Fordham University

Fabiana Cecchini, Texas A&M University

Giovanna Faleschini Lerner, Franklin & Marshall College

Crystal Hall, Bowdoin College

Lina Insana, University of Pittsburgh

Nicoletta Marini-Maio, Dickinson College

Elena Past, Wayne State University

Gabriella Romani, Seton Hall University

The seminar is sponsored by:

Central Pennsylvania Consortium

Dickinson College, Franklin & Marshall College, Gettysburg College

Franklin & Marshall College

Department of Italian, Department of Theatre, Dance, and Film, Ware College House, Center for Liberal Arts and Society

Dickinson College

Department of French and Italian, Film Studies Program

==
Nicoletta Marini-Maio, Ph.D.
French and Italian Department, Chair
Associate Professor of Italian and Film Studies
Dickinson College
g/s/i, Editor
Bosler Hall 219, Carlisle, PA 17013
Tel. (717) 245-1592

********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: subscribe italian-studies YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: unsubscribe italian-studies to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/italian-studies