Hi Nick,

Yes, I got a request for this for City of Lincoln.

WRT charging, I think it's sometimes worth making a judgement call as to whether the results of a given research project would be sufficiently useful to justify an investment of time, for example if a project demonstrably helps one's authority to achieve specific policies or other commitments.

On something like this, a bit of flexibility on the part of HERs can give HEng a lot more bang for their buck. Of course it would help if they did some legwork beforehand to find out if HERs are willing to support a given piece of research, but HEng project designs often seem to be put together in a very high level way, leaving it to tenderers to come up with specific methodologies for delivery.

Another problem is that the budgets for HEng tender requests are often judged very finely, and require a lot of lateral thinking on the part of tenderers to meet project objectives while staying within the proposed budget.

Of course this is easy for me to say as Lincoln doesn't charge for searches at the moment.

Best,

Alastair MacIntosh

City Archaeologist

City of Lincoln Council