Hi Tony,

Ah, the "you do it better" defence.

I administer a T2, it is not my job to deal with T1s and the T0, nor to write middleware, so if you need different bits of software for different Tiers that's CMS' problem and CMS a should deal with it. We already donated about 12 (wo)man hours to the project (because that's how long it took to find that missing perl rpm (which blocked the project at several sites for weeks on end, no?)), I'm afraid this is where it ends.

A storage dump is a debugging tool, if you need that on a weekly basis you are solving the wrong problem.

You might also want to rethink how you approach the sites, because a statement like this:
"a) is entirely up to you. We've explicitly avoided
prescribing how it should be done because we want sites to be able to do
whatever is most efficient for their storage."

is easily misunderstood as  "we weren't able to write the code, but if we get 100 (or however many sites CMS has) sysadmins to do the work for us we'd be home free" [*]

I also find it hard to reconcile lofty statements about WLCG standards with instructions starting with:
"Get the latest version of PhEDEx code:
 git clone https://github.com/dmwm/PHEDEX.git

because clearly versioning is not part of any software releases according to WLCG standards
(maybe it's not, but ... arrghhh... why am I even going there ?).

[*] To quote the CMS spacemon webpage:
"There you will find instructions and scripts developed by CMS/ATLAS site admins and/or references for the tools provided with the storage solutions, as well as sample storage-dumps."
and
"Please do not hesitate to contribute your tools and bug-fixes to the common repository. You can fork the repository and make a pull request to merge your branch, or you can ask Eric, Giulio, Tony or Nicolo' for write-access."
You can see where I get that impression from.

Anyway, I am going to stop ranting now, I'm under no illusions about my impact here. You've heard from two site admins who aren't happy with how this is implemented, do with that information what you want, I'm going back to my day job ("keeping the lights blinking") now.

Daniela