I understand there are 8 bedrooms left - book quick!
Lex

Prof. Alexis Comber
Department of Geography, University of Leicester, Leicester, LE1 7RH, UK
* please note that I take up a Chair in Spatial Data Analytics at Leeds in July 2015
New email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Invitation to:
“Evolving GIScience: a celebration of the life and work of Peter Fisher”
14th and 15th July 2015, Leicester
Registration and Booking via shop@le at http://goo.gl/s0HVYx

  *   Full rate £135 - includes lunch & dinner on 14th, breakfast & lunch on the 15th, 1 night accommodation, tea/coffee breaks, en-suite accommodation, parking
  *   Junior researcher rate £50 as above - details of how to purchase on request.
  *   Day Rate: £35 (including lunches & tea/coffees)

Travel Details: see http://collegecourt.co.uk/sites/default/files/brochures/college-court-travel-leaflet.pdf<%22htt>

Pre-amble
The main motivation of the workshop is to celebrate Pete Fisher’s professional life which had 3 strong foci: research, publication and education. As well as reflecting on his contribution we would also like to use some of his ideas to help us consider our progress in the discipline of GIScience and where we go next.

In his research, Pete's central concern was the disconnect between the "thing" (the object, behaviour or process) and how we represent it. Consideration of the nature of the pixel and location of geographic features led him into interesting areas, including geoslavery (whose voice matters), uncertainty and fuzzy sets (what are the characteristics of the thing) and conceptualisation (how do we represent space and place). Pete posed some big questions; ten years ago he asked Where is Helvellyn? are we any closer to an answer?

  *   Which of the questions Pete posed are answered or answerable and which continue to elude us?

As editor of IGJIS Pete oversaw the transition from GISystem to GIScience. One of the workshop aims is to consider the degree to which GIScience continues to progress and innovate.

  *   How has GIScience changed since 1996 and have we responded to big data, virtual communities and volunteered geographies?

As an educator he was a mentor to many, an excellent teacher and he was intensely interested in concepts and principles. Important questions are being raised as other disciplines are reinventing 'digital geography' all around us: what should the GI academic community be teaching, how, when and to whom? Do we need GI courses? Are we being side-lined? If so, do we need to admit it and re-think GI education?

  *   How should the GIScience community be contributing to GIEducation?

Finally, the only well-known law in geography is Tobler’s “Everything is related to everything else, but near things are more related than distant things” and Arbia and Espa’s less well known corollary para-phrased as “things looked at a coarse scale seem more similar than when looked at a fine scale”. Maybe, we shouldn’t exhibit 'physics envy’ and dream of laws, but, is it possible to identify some principles that are in the spirit of Pete's contributions to GIScience.

  *   What are some Fisher inspired principles of GIScience in the areas of Representation, Uncertainty, Semantics, Education and Visualization?

We invite everyone to come up with principles based on Pete's work. We hope your contributions will act as a focus for discussion throughout the two days and perhaps we will end up with something substantive. There are processes that will help this work; some may involve beer.

Lex Comber, Jason Dykes & Richard Wadsworth, May 2015
Programme
With so much content, so many people and so much ambition(!), we’ve decided to do things a bit differently, and in that spirit please note that:

  *   Sessions are short (1hour max)
  *   Talks are short, (15 minutes except the keynote)
  *   Coffee breaks are long
  *   Lunches are long

Day 1

12:00

Arrival, registration and Buffet Lunch
Chat & discussions; participants to contribute their ideas on a range of Fisher related topics and Fisher-inspired principles based on the Pre-amble above. This information will inform later activities.

13:30

Welcome and Keynote
Introduction: UoLeicester staff
Keynote: Prof Mike Batty Reflecting on 28 years of GI Science

14:30

Break

15:00

Session 1 Representation: Meaning
Ola Ahlqvist Semantic Accuracy - 20 years after Salgé (1995)
Chris Jones Spatial natural language generation for captioning geo-referenced photos
May Yuan From Spatial Analysis to Placial Analysis
Jason Dykes Eschew Obfuscation

16:00

Break

16:30

Session 2 Representation: Objects, Pixels & Fuzziness
Mike Worboys Some vagaries about vagueness
Geoff Smith & Paul Aplin Objects a snare or delusion
Hugo Costa, Giles Foody & Doreen Boyd The object - not a solution to the snare of the pixel
Tao Cheng Type-n fuzziness and spatio-temporal analytics

17:30

Beer break

18:00

Progress Activity: Where is Helvellyn? Where are we? Where do we go next?
Nick Tate & Dave Unwin with help from others (tbc)

  *   How has GIScience changed since 1996 and what are the important new research directions?
  *   How should the GIScience community be contributing to GIEducation?

There will be some opening statements followed by discussion

19:00

Beer Break

19:30

Dinner

Day 2

09:00

Session 3 Space & Time
David Martin Modelling populations 24/7 with open data
Peter Atkinson Downscaling techniques in remote sensing
Heiko Balzter Geographic analysis of temporal scaling in space time data
Vanessa da Silva Brum Bastos, Jed A. Long & Urška Demšar New methodological approaches for cross scale integration of environmental remotely sensed data with spatio temporal movement data

10:00

Break

10:30

Session 4 Topography & Visualisation
Juha Oksanen Uncertainty aware catchment delineation finally possible for interactive analysis and country wide DEMs
Claire Burwell Virtual reality in remote-sensing: exploiting 3D for Point Cloud Classification
Brian G Lees & Shawn Laffan Links between topographic attributes and geology
Francis Harvey Visualization in GIScience

11:30

Break

12:00

Session 5 Analysis & Science
Chris Brunsdon Spatial Issues in Fuzzy Data Analysis
David Maguire GI Science and Systems revisited

12:30

Lunch

14:00

Developing GIScience Principles
Mike Worboys and David Maguire with help from others (tbc):

  *   What are some Fisher inspired principles of GIScience in the areas of Representation, Uncertainty, Semantics, Education and Visualization?

There will be some opening statements followed by discussion

15:00

Depart