From:"Juan Gérvas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 21 Jun, 2015 at 17:50
Subject:Re: EBM of appendicectomy

-thanks, Ash

-very clear

-still, no definitive answer

-and no comment about the abuse of CT scan

-un saludo

-juan gérvas

Dear Juan,

Here's a video critique of the trial:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Surgery/GeneralSurgery/52153

The critiquer F Perry Wilson from Yale tweets under the name of @methodsman

Regards,

Ash

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

From:"Juan Gérvas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 21 Jun, 2015 at 17:27
Subject:Re: Fw: EBM of appendicectomy

-excellent critique, Ash

-we are still in the Cochrane conclusion, in 2011
Therefore we conclude that appendectomy remains the standard treatment for acute appendicitis . Antibiotic treatment might be used as an alternative treatment in a good quality RCT or in specific patients or conditions were surgery is contraindicated.

http://www.cochrane.org/CD008359/COLOCA_antibiotic-therapy-compared-to-appendectomy-in-the-treatment-of-acute-appendicitis.

-about laparoscopci surgery, also Cochrane, in 2000
In summary, laparoscopic surgery for suspected appendicitis has diagnostic and therapeutic advantages as compared to conventional surgery. However, conventional appendectomy should not be considered 'wrong', because the difference between the two techniques is rather small and strongly depends on patient characteristics and the treating surgeon's expertise.
http://www.cochrane.org/CD001546/COLOCA_laparoscopic-key-hole-surgery-for-appendicitis

-but no one comment about the overuse of CTscan in children and young adults (thinks in females, and their ovaries) when the standard of uncomplicated appendicitis is via radiology

-un saludo

-juan gérvas

Dear colleagues,

Here's a recent critique of the Finnish trial:

http://skepticalscalpel.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/antibiotics-for-appendicitis-no-thanks.html?m=1