Would you find the bullet point from the inspection handbook more acceptable if you took out the words ‘fundamental British’?

And to answer Alison’s post about covering the 9 protected characteristics of the Equality Act for low levels (and to add to Lalila’s suggestions), for pre-entry and E1 classes I have taken pictures of people from the easy read version of the Equality Act https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/85012/easy-read.pdf <https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/85012/easy-read.pdf>, displayed them and elicited what learners can tell me about the people (old, disabled, different religions etc). Then I write an equals sign between each picture and say that in this country the law says that all these people are equal and should not be treated unfairly, adding that the same goes for the classroom. I think it is possible to cover all of the 9 protected characteristics in this way. Some interesting comments have come from the picture of two men holding hands, because of the different ways in which this is perceived in different countries.

Sarah Estop