Don't miss the chance to book for the ISKO UK biennial conference in London on 13/14 July 2015 by July 5th.  With a theme of Knowledge Organization – Making a difference, this conference gives us all the opportunity to reflect on the continuing demand for  Knowledge Organization (KO). It will be a showcase for R & D that offers benefits as a discipline, for cultural activities and economic development, and an opportunity to consider the impact that KO has had, is having and will have.

Details at: http://www.iskouk.org/content/knowledge-organization-making-difference

Registration at: https://www.conftool.net/iskouk2015/

Some highlights

·         As Keynote speakers we have Dagobert Soergel and Alan Gilchrist, both influential writers and speakers in the field. While Gilchrist reflects on the advances already achieved through KO, Soergel looks to a future in which KO structures enable connections, inferencing, understanding and exploiting information.

·         Patrick Lambe, already a popular speaker at our past conferences, returns to urge a proactive role for KO professionals in designing and developing networked knowledge environments. He will also facilitate an interactive fish-bowl session for all of us to discuss what we can do  to implement KO effectively and raise its profile.

·         Joining us from the USA, we are delighted to welcome Joseph Busch, who will share his extensive consultancy experience in applying classification principles both in-house and on the Web.

·        Johannes Keizer and Caterina Caracciolo from the FAO declare that “Using Knowledge Organization Systems requires proper tools to manage them”. Their AGRIS database has evolved to become a KOS-based Linked Open Data web application underpinned by VocBench, a state of the art editor for KOS enabling automatic alignment of vocabularies.

There are many more speakers in the programme at http://www.iskouk.org/content/knowledge-organization-making-difference, where you can also find details such as venue and registration fees. To make a booking you will need to go to https://www.conftool.net/iskouk2015/ and set up a user account. Priced at just £180  for members and students, and £210  for non-members, this two-day event offers exceptional value for money. Please don’t delay in booking your place!

There's a social meet-up too, on the Sunday evening before. On behalf of ISKO UK, I look forward to seeing you there.

Apologies for any cross-posting
Anna Harvey
Publicity, ISKO UK
www.iskouk.org

More background

ISKO is a not-for-profit scientific/professional association with a mission to promote the theory and practice of organizing knowledge and information. The emphasis in our UK Chapter is on building bridges between the research and practitioner communities, for example at our regular and very popular afternoon meetings. You can see past and future events at Our Events, together with slides and sound recordings for most presentations. The proceedings (including slides, papers and audio) of our previous biennial conferences are available there too; see for example http://www.iskouk.org/content/isko-uk-conference-2013-knowledge-organization-pushing-boundaries.